SAY: The Stuttering Association for the Young is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides support, advocacy and life-changing experiences for young people who stutter, ages 3-25.
Over 70 million people worldwide stutter, including 5% of all children. Children who stutter often face daily ridicule, teasing and bullying, and resort to silence to hide their stutter. Many will withdraw from peers, teachers, and society, leaving them feeling isolated and alone.
For over 20 years, SAY has offered comprehensive and innovative programs that address the physical, social, and emotional impacts of stuttering: Through summer camp, regional day camps, speech therapy and creative arts programming, SAY builds a community of acceptance, friendship, and encouragement where young people who stutter can develop the confidence and communication skills they need to thrive.
- Camp SAY: Camp SAY is an ACA-accredited, 2-week, summer camp for young people who stutter, ages 8-18. Kids & teens who stutter have endless fun while building confidence & independence, improving communication skills, and forming lifelong friendships.
- Camp SAY: Across the USA: SAY's regional mini-day camp programs that bring the Camp SAY experience to cities across the USA! Young people, ages 8-18, play games, have fun, and connect with other kids who stutter from their local areas.
- Confident Voices: SAY's award-winning, after-school and weekend programs employs the arts to inspire expression and imagination, encourage collaboration and connection, and celebrate the voices of kids and teens who stutter, ages 8-18. Offering sessions throught each school year.
- SAY: Speech: SAY’s Speech Therapy program is led by a licensed speech-language pathologist and board-certified stuttering specialist. SAY: Speech embraces a holistic approach to stuttering therapy that addresses the individual needs and goals of each child and family. Serving ages 3-18.
- SAY: DC: Year-round after-school and weekend creative arts programming in the Washington, DC area that provides a supportive space of empathy, friendship, and inspiration for children who stutter, ages 8-25.
So many incredible young people have come to SAY in despair. We have been uplifted by their courage and the transformation that occurs when children who stutter can express themselves fully and understand that stuttering should never hold them back from achieving their dreams.
"We believe that every young person who stutters has a voice that matters and it is a voice that deserves to be heard."
When you support SAY, you make anything possible in the life of a child who stutters. With your help, SAY is able to provide life-changing programming to children from all socioeconomic backgrounds. Over 90% of SAY families are in need of financial assistance. To date, no child has ever been turned away due to an inability to pay. Your support helps ensure this important and essential legacy.